Healingsonghome

This is my healing journal.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

A father and son tribute

On Valentine's Day, Bert and I went to listen to one of our personal favorite performers. His name is Steeve Tucker. We had known Steve for years, as our friend the Late Ben Arnold had been good friends with him. We had heard him sing with different groups around town. But, my personal favorite way to hear him was alone. I particularly loved his covers of Jackson Brown's songs "A Taste of Something Fine" and "These Days" when he sung them at Ben's memorial service three years ago.

At that same memorial service, we had had the chance to hear Steeve's son Brian play, and from him, our favorite cover will always be the song "Alleluia" which is featured in the first Shrek movie. We've since heard Brian a number of times at the Nomad.

I'll always appreciate both Brian's and Steeve's clear bell like voices. As I said with regards to both of them, they can do their own material as well as Jackson Brown's material almost flawlessly and make it sound like it's really no effort.

What was especially cool on Thursday night was hearing Steeve do a set and then let Brian do part of a set, with him singing some background vocals on some of Brian's songs.

I'm reminded by that of just how much we take for granted in our parents. When we don't realize how much we should value them is when they're gone. I will always treasure the times I had with my Mom and my Dad. I loved the long car rides Mom and I used to take to go visit my grandmother in the Upper Peninsula or her Aunt Ethel in South Haven. I loved working with Dad in his studio in the clay. I loved the times I'd work with either one of them in the kitchen, as they both helped me realize I could do things for myself.

Parents should also realize that the time they have with their children should also not be taken for granted. How many parents have I known who have been frustrated with their children more times than not?

Thanks Steve and Brian for that example.

4 Comments:

  • At February 16, 2008 at 1:51 PM , Blogger Annette said...

    Hi, Bea,
    I love Jackson Browne's music, so I likely would've enjoyed those performances, myself!

    You're absolutely right--we definitely shouldn't take our parents for granted. when you and Suzanne lost your moms in such a short time and so close together, admittedly, I began to think of what it might be like if my own mom were to leave this world. She isn't ready, as she doesn't know the Lord, so I continue to pray that somehow, the Holy Spirit will open her eyes to the Truth. Unfortunately, Mom and I never cooked or worked in the kitchen, as you and your own mother did, and I wish we had. We've discussed doing that should she and Dad come down here for the winter next year, though, and that'll be so good. I want to do more things with Mom. I want to watch TV with her, shop with her, cook with her, and, hopefully, show her, by example, the love of Christ,and when necessary, I'll use words to communicate His love. I also want to spend more time with Dad, listening to music, having philosophical conversations, and at times, not speaking at all, just enjoying one another's company, as we so often have done. He rarely says "I love you," but I know it, because he communicates it in so many different ways. He's special.

     
  • At February 16, 2008 at 5:28 PM , Blogger Healing Song said...

    Hi Annette,

    I agree with you. Times like those are special, and I hope you and your Mom will be able to spend such times together.

     
  • At February 18, 2008 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Suzanne R said...

    I think I'm of an earlier generation than you both, as I am not familiar with the music you mention. I have heard of Jackson Browne, of course, but I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about his music. I'm just old! LOL!

    I am very happy for you both, that you have or had such wonderful relationships with your mothers. That is something to treasure. I am sad to say that my mom and I weren't close, as we were very different and I think became easily frustrated with each other, but in the last number of years, we were able to express our love for each other verbally and that is something that I am very grateful for. I have had some bad memories shaken loose by her death but I think that between now and Mother's Day, in particular, I'll try to focus on the positive.

     
  • At February 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM , Blogger Healing Song said...

    I think I understand what you're saying here, Suzanne. However, my problems with Mom, I had wihen I was in my twenties and part of my early thirties. Sometimes, I used to get so frustrated with her, when she would try to tell me what Bert needed to do to prove to me he was a better husband than he was, and that really hurt. But, we grew close again, particularly in the last couple of years of her life. I will always miss her. BUt, I'm somehow glad we were able to get close again.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home