Healingsonghome

This is my healing journal.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

My opinion of the Michigan Primary

Indigo, if you're reading this, thanks for your post on your blog about John McCain. I had always known he had strange partners in crime. However, when I was reading your post, it dawned on me that I had seen firsthand just how true what you had to say is! For those of you who are reading this who want to know what I'm talking about, go to http://furtheradventuresofindigored.blogspot com and read the post Why Not John McCain.

On Tuesday afternoon, just as we were getting ready to head out the door, I received a phone call which the talking caller ID told me was "out of Area". I didn't answer it. However, I thought I'd better check the voice mail, because I do have one friend who will call me on occasion and those she lives only fifteen miles from me, sometimes when she's using her cell phone, it wil say that.

What I heard was a recorded message from former democratic vice-presidential candidate Joe Lieberman. It was a plea for all Republicans to vote for John McCain, as he considered him to be the best candidate for the job. He then went on to add that if this was a Democratic household he had reached, that he hoped the members of the household would also vote for McCain, since no democrats were on the ballot.

First of all, that's not entirely true. Hillary Clinton did not have her name taken off the ballot, unlike her fellow democrats Obama and Edwards. So, a good number of her supporters did turn out to vote for her.

Do I think any democrats heard Mr. Lieberman's plea? Most assuredly I do. Even if two of the democratic candidates had not demanded their names taken off the ballot and then turned around and demanded that people write them in, a lot of democrat votes went to Mr. McCain in this primary and in the primary of 2000. I remember talking to a friend of mine at the time and having her complain about Mr. McCain winning Michigan, and I asked her then what she expected, since Michigan was mostly a Democratic state, regardless of Jackson being called the "Birthplace of the Republican Party". I know several democrats who voted for Mr. McCain in that election, and I'm sure the same democrats voted for him again in this primary to bring him into second place behind Romney.

Ah, yes. Mitt Romney. Michigan's favorite son, riding in on a white horse to sieze the day! Please!!!

A lot of the political analysts are saying they voted for Romney here in Michigan to straighten out our economy. I'm not sure what will straighten out the economy in Michigan, other than more manufacturing jobs staying close to home and less of them being outsourced to other countries. I'm not so sure I can trust Mr. Romney with regards to making sure as president that doesn't happen.

I am concerned that what Mr. Romney has done to the Evangelical Christians in my state, is a whitewash job. I don't know how many of you heard or read his statement on faith. I tell you, I was impressed. However, I also saw it for what it was, a whitewash job, so that he would get the Evangelical vote, using some of the same words they use, yet using them in the context of his Mormon Faith. I'd like to think no Evangelicals bought into what he was saying. But, I'd be lying if I said that were true, because the numbers tell all.

I am please to say that in my county alone, about fifteen hundered to two thousand were split up between Mike Huckabee, Fred Thompson and Duncan Hunter, and I'm sure most of those were free thinking people who at least give a damn and see the two leading candidates here in Michigan for who they are. At the same time, they also see Ron Paul for being the jackass that he is.

By the way, Back to Mr. McCain... Did anyone hear him accidentally almost refer to the people of Michigan as the people of Mexico? Wonder what was up with that! Maybe he thinks we're that poor here too?

2 Comments:

  • At February 7, 2008 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Suzanne R said...

    It's interesting to read this in the context of all that has transpired since the day you wrote it, up until today, with Romney dropping out. I am a registered Republican so I will be voting for McCain in the Oregon primary in May. I would never have voted for Romney, because as a former Mormon, I heard him tell too many lies when asked questions about his faith and what Mormons believe. As for Huckabee, he has been quoted as saying that, if elected President, he will change the Constitution to go along with the Bible. I think this would be a grave mistake, as I believe in the strict separation of church and state. (Romney probably would have made changes that favored his Mormon faith, but he would never have been so open about his plans to do so.) At any rate, I am not limiting myself to voting for a Republican in the November election. May the best man or woman win!

     
  • At February 8, 2008 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Healing Song said...

    I have to agree with you on hoping the best person for the job will win. I think what most people who support separation of church and state don't realixe is that the Constitution was written by men of faith originally, and while they may advocate for separation of church and state, they also tend to take away the faith ideal from society, ridiculing those of us who are people of faith.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home